Chat Amongst Yourselves: Chaat (chat) Masala

Chaat (sometimes spelt chat) Masala is a Pakistani and North Indian spice mix which is both sweet and sour in taste. There are, of course, more versions than I can shake a stick at but my version is below.

There are a couple of unusual ingredients, the first being Kala Namak (Indian black salt) and secondly Amchoor (dried mango powder). If you track down either of these ingredients in rural Spain then please do let me know.

Blend the following ingredients in a spice grinder or a pestle and mortar if you want to give your arms a work out.

1 tbs roasted cumin seeds
1 tbs roasted fennel seeds
Pinch asafoetida
½ tbs garam masala
½ tbs amchoor (dried mango powder)
½ tbs kala namak (black salt)
½ tsp cayenne pepper
½ tsp ground ginger
½ tsp roasted black peppercorns

Dry fry or roast the cumin, fennel seeds and peppercorn until they start to release their oils giving off a wonderful aroma. Make sure not to burn them.

Add all ingredients to a spice blender and pulse until powdered.

Place in an airtight container in a cool dark place where is will keep for a couple of months but I prefer to mix and grind it as and when I need it.


On the day I ground my mix I used it as a rub for fish that I baked in the oven and served with roasted vegetables. 






0 comments: